Parks & Street Trees
Ann Arbor is a city of greenery. More than most, we are a community that values and protects our natural beauty. Ann Arbor’s parks are essential to our vibrant and active neighborhoods. And our tree-lined streets are an irreplaceable icon of the Ann Arbor identity and an integral asset to our quality of life.
Ann Arbor has a remarkable, one-of-a-kind park system. Our 2,200 acres of parkland ensure that every resident lives within a quarter of a mile of a neighborhood park. Our parks are one of the greatest benefits Ann Arbor can offer residents and visitors alike. Now let’s take care of them. I will work to:
- Collaborate with residents, the Park Advisory Commission, City staff, and others to develop engaging programming for our parks.
- Prioritize maintenance and improvement of our existing parks, not expanding the system beyond our means.
- Keep funding levels adequate to make sure our parks are fun, beautiful, and safe.
Street trees are fundamental to Ann Arbor’s identity and our residents’ quality of life. They give our neighborhoods character while protecting our homes from potential stormwater damage. I will work to:
- Ensure adequate funding for planting, pruning, and proactive care of our street trees.
- Prioritize street tree planting and incentivize rain gardens in high-risk flood areas.
- Plan for the future by planting trees that will survive the effects of climate change.